Last week, during my trip to Walt Disney World, I did a thing that I’ve been wanting to do for some time…the Savor the Savanna experience over at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. It was not a cheap experience, which is one of the reasons I had put it off for a bit. I decided to treat myself when I saw an available reservation for the week I was going to be a Disney World, so I bit the bullet, pulled out my trusty old Disney Visa and booked the experience. (current pricing for May 2022 is $174 per person plus tax).
During the Savor the Savanna you’ll see Animal Kingdom’s savanna in a new light. You’ll immerse your senses during a privately guided journey and explore the sights and sounds—and tastes—of Africa. Welcome to Savor the Savanna, a premium tour where you can discover the wonders of the continent’s most amazing creatures… and so much more!
Your safari begins with a journey deep into the heart of the Harambe Wildlife Reserve. You’ll soon find yourself within one of the most secluded and breathtaking private viewing areas the savanna has to offer.
Listen along as your guide tells tales of the unique residents who inhabit the reserve. Don’t hesitate to ask questions as your guide shares insightful information about the wildlife and the special care they’re provided at Disney’s Animal Kingdom theme park.
While savoring the savanna scenery, you’re invited to indulge in a sampling of African-inspired cuisine too, paired with a selection of regional beer and wine offerings.
The food was very good. I think the shrimp were my favorite, but the curried chicken salad was very good as well! I had a glass of rosé, but red & white wines were available as well. They also had a couple of African beers and POG juice. Don’t miss the Pog juice! All the food and drinks were all you can eat, and there was plenty of food available.
After we had our main courses, we walked behind the facility to watch the white rhinos. I always think I’m very lucky if I see one of the rhinos…today, our group saw seven of these magnificent creatures! Currently, Kilimanjaro Safaris have a total of 9 white rhinoceros. I loved seeing so many of them at once!
After watching the rhinos, we were invited back to the tables where they had some dessert selections. I had the deconstructed s’mores (which was delicious!!) and I also tried the passion fruit cake, which was good, but not as good as the s’more!
Know Before You Go
View important tour information including recommended attire, amenities provided and more.
- Savor the Savanna features a ride in a rugged safari vehicle over an open savanna teeming with wildlife.
- For your safety, you should be in good health and free from high blood pressure; heart, back or neck problems; motion sickness or other conditions that could be aggravated by this adventure. Expectant mothers should not participate.
- Guests must be at least 8 years of age to participate in this experience.
- Guests under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a participating adult (18 years of age or older).
- This experience requires Guests in ECVs to transfer into an available wheelchair to participate in the tour.
- Please check in 15 minutes prior to start of experience at the Curiosity Animal Tours kiosk, located across from the Kilimanjaro Safaris attraction entrance. Late arrivals will not be able to join the experience.
- This excursion occurs rain or shine, with the exception of severe weather or lightning.
- Tour itinerary, content, duration and availability are subject to change without notice.
- You will forfeit the entire price of your tour if you no-show or cancel within 2 days of your reservation.
- Theme park admission is required, but not included in the price of this tour. Theme park reservations are also required.
- Guests must be at least 21 years of age or older to consume alcoholic beverages. Please keep a valid form of identification on hand at all times to verify your age.
I checked in about 15 minutes prior to my tour beginning, and during check-in the host does ask to see photo ID, and then you must sign a waiver before you can experience this tour. The check-in desk is just across the way from the entrance to the queue of the Kilimanjaro Safari ride in the Africa section of Disney Animal Kingdom.
I absolutely, 100% loved this experience. I would do it again in a heartbeat. It lasted a bit more than two hours. We had a wonderful guide that was full of Animal Kingdom and animal knowledge, we got to speak and ask questions to an animal keeper while on the savannah, and during our meal, another guide was at the boma filled with knowledge as well. I did not expect to want to return and do this experience again, but I would definitely repeat it! I think, though, before repeating the Savor the Savannah, I might have to try the Wild Africa Trek first….that’s been on my list for some time as well!
Do you have an item that you need to check off your Disney World Bucket List? If so, give me a shout, and let’s get you to Central Florida! Or, does this inspire you to visit Africa for your own “real” Safari? Either way, I can help!